Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Natural Journey: Take Care of the Hair!




Behaving edges make me very happy!
     Yesterday, I had a major freak out because my hair had become terribly unruly. I could not figure out what on Earth was going on with it; my edges were crunchy and would not stay down, my curls were not curly, and the still-straight parts stuck up like defiant black licorice whips that had been exposed to the air. No matter how much product I used nothing was working. 

"No matter how much product I used..." That was the problem! How long had it been since I washed my hair??!! Quite a while, I would say. I had been suffering from buildup. 
   When I apply the "Perfect Edges" and my "Eco Styler Olive Oil" gel...everyday, my edges become layered with--gunk. Yes, gunk. Gunk I couldn't see because I had soft-brushed my edge so much that it had laid on my scalp. I won't tell you how I figured this out. 
My hair was also a bit sticky. When the cuticles of your strands become covered with oil, conditioner, creme and dirt, there is build-up. Since I have only been co-washing my hair over the last 3 weeks, I had become a goopy mess of untamed frizz and crunchy edges. 

Solution? I simply washed my hair. But...I didn't use shampoo. "What? Ew...!"
It really is not as bad as one might think, actually, it is even better. Here's why:

Some experts theorize that most shampoos contain detergent agents, which strips oil, but eventually dries out your hair, making it brittle. I use a clarifying shampoo every now and then, but not every time I wash my hair. This time I used a new product I am sampling from my January Essence Beauty Box, Deva Curl's No Poo and One Conditioner. I used it like I would use any regular shampoo, and followed with applying and rinsing the conditioner through my curls, which I noticed had been revived! Wow! The only problem was that my hair was dirty...really dirty! After I gently towel-dried my hair (I was in a morning rush to go to work), I applied my Perfect Edges and My Eco Styler gel, brushed my edges down with a soft bristle brush, detailed them with a toothbrush, and then wrapped my head around with a silk scarf until I was ready to leave the house. Taking off the scarf, I was happy to see that everything was back in order! My edges laid down flat, and my hair was shiny and soft again. I just needed to continue to stick to the regimen. And my hair stayed the whole, entire day. So pleased, so pleased...

     Another thing I had to remember was that the LOC method should be followed to achieve the right look, and taking time to twist neatly prevents curls that are tangled and become frizzy. Taking the time to care for my hair will insure that my curls continue to be beautiful and full of life. 
For more information about Twist out Fails and No Pooing:
   

Leave a comment below about your natural hair discoveries along your journey! Watch my video on the Alvinvision!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig