Thursday, June 2, 2016

Cherry Picking




     This week, in my area, it is time for cherry picking. It is a rather short window of time for gathering, and I always seem to miss it, but not this time: After a rather stressful day, I hopped into my car for a getaway to the rolling hills and countryside of Leona Valley, CA. With my top open and jazz playing, the drive would have been enough of a treat, but when I arrived at Copelands Cherry Ranch , I stepped into a quiet, friendly orchard that turned out to be a pleasant afternoon visit where I could take in the scenery and gather my thoughts.



     The owners of Copelands are friendly and informative. They kindly instructed me on the proper way to pick cherries, and educated me on the many varieties that grow at the ranch. I came just in time, because the back area of the orchard had already been harvested by visitors from the previous weekend. The upcoming weekend brings the Cherry Parade and visitors from all over California.


                        


     Fortunately, the front lot was still adorned with heaps of red jewels hanging from the trees in different shades of red. I picked three varieties: Bing, Rainier, and as owner Shari introduced to     me, Utah Bigs. 

                 

     Last year, Copelands was not able to open, because the drought kept cherries from growing, but this year, the trees are filled with vibrant, sweet cherries, each variety showing off its own special hue and flavor.



There are a few things to remember when you visit:

1. The folks at Copeland prefer that you pick the cherry rather than the stem. Sometimes when you pick the stem, the spur is ripped away from the branch, which affects future bud and blossom growth. If you must pick the stem, there are mini scissors available. 

2. Tasting to sample is encouraged, but do not overdo it. Be sustainably minded and fair by paying for what you pick. 

3. The ducks on the property are certified organic, so avoid feeding them. They do love for you to say, "Hello", though...they are as diverse as the cherries with their colorful feathers.

4. Oh, and cherries are 5.00 a pound. Buckets are available, but I brought my own basket. You can, too!




For more information, click here, and plan on making a visit. Copelands also sells honey, and will have special Cherry Cupcakes available for this weekend only. It is a great outdoor experience to share with family or to enjoy as a tranquil solo outing.



And the cherries are delicious! 
Share:

2 comments

  1. I'm going right into my kitchen and eat those delicious looking cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're chilled now, but don't eat too many. Precarious consequences...!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig