Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Natural and Loving It!

     So it has been a few weeks since I have made a conscious effort to go natural. I cannot remember the last time I retouched my hair with relaxer: The general routine of a retouch has been replaced by another which involves more caring techniques and practices that protect my hair rather than cause it to break off; I have noticed this occurring less and less often. My husband can't seem to stop putting his hands in it, but I don't mind at all! My friends and family love all of the different looks I create without a weave or extensions in my hair. I learn how to keep my curls or how to stretch them out by chatting with strangers I meet while shopping or going about town. It's funny how this change has, in many ways, introduced me to a whole new community of women I'd probably never speak to otherwise. 
     There are so many tutorials on going natural that I found on YouTube to help me; I discovered the many outcomes that are yielded from braiding or twisting your hair. Each way dictates the look you will achieve, and various products will also affect the curl pattern of your hair. As I've stood in the mirror and worked on these locks, I have noticed that many of these methods we now use have always been a part of the grooming process, but mostly not a means to a particular end. But now, we have uncovered what a few of us have always known: The diligent care of your raw, natural hair is the only true way to stimulate growth, and that growth is substantial, leading to lengths we once thought weren't possible for black hair.

I'm going to list what I've been doing, along with the products I have used so far along the way:

1. It took a little while to find just the right products that worked on my hair. Some stuff out there is not very good, or at least it's not right for me. Since I like to smell my products, the scent also became an important factor when choosing something to use. I chose the following:



Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie- This stuff is great! I put a dollop in and through my hair each night before I begin my routine. It makes my hair so soft and manageable and it lasts for the entire day.
-Curls Creme Brûlée Whipped Curl Creme and Goddess Curls Botanical Gelle...I use this while I flat twist my hair; the Creme I use for the thicker, coarse parts and the Gelle I use for the more straight parts, toward the front. They both smell great, and I like the way they hold the curls after the twist out. 


-Next, my tried and true that my cousin Rashima (#Beautyrashima) introduced me to, Eco Styler with Olive Oil. It is a gel that does not flake, but holds wherever you apply it. I use it for edge control. 

-No wonder the castaways of Gillian's Island were so happy to stay on the Island...they had coconut oil! This stuff does everything, and when it comes to hair and skin, I am an advocate. I put a quarter sized dollop in the palm of my hand after I take down my hair, and run it through. It gives it shine and keeps it from drying out. I even have a little jar in my purse to use for a touch up, and to rub on my lips and hands in this cold, dry weather. 
-When edges are particularly zealous, ORS Edge Control gets the job done. It lays down my edges and stays all day. When I wear an updo, it is vital to have those edges on point. 
     I flat twist my hair using a spray bottle with conditioner, a wide tooth comb, clamps and bone rollers. I've selected the flat twist, because it is faster for me to complete after a long day, and it keeps the hair close to the scalp. If I want a more voluminous look the next day, I will twist individual locks. 
   Bone rollers finish my ends, since they are still straight. I chose to not cut all of my hair off, so the transition is still taking place toward the front of my hair and on the ends. However, I have noticed my new growth is straight and wavy; genetically, the curl pattern in my family is like this, so it will be interesting to see the final grow-out. 

   Am I happy with my decision? Yes, I am. While I may put braids in at the beginning of the year, I have joined ranks with my sister friends and family, and have even set examples for some younger girls in my circle to embrace who they are. I don't think I've taken as many selfies of myself as I have these past few weeks, confidently sharing my styles on Instagram and Facebook. I become passionate about things that are important to me, and promoting authenticity in such a simple way has made me excited. 
Take a look at my twist-out video. I hope it inspires you, or gives you tips on how to get the look you are aiming for! 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig